[rescue] IBM RS6000 43P-140

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Mon Apr 19 22:02:16 CDT 2004

On Monday 19 April 2004 09:59 pm, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> > Slower, but it will let you play around for sure.  Will run anything
> > up to 5.1, but no 5.2 since it's prep.
>
> SLOW!?!?  Sure, a POWER(1) box is slow, but I have trouble calling
> something running at 200MHz slow, especially a Power(PC) box.

Hang on a sec... I said "slower", not "slow".  I've had tons of sit-down time
in front of the 140's and 150's -- big or small, I had 60 users on these
things.  My experience was perhaps tainted -- given the choice between
sitting in front of a 7043-140/200, /233 or /332, you know which one I
picked.

I'm sure it's fine for other tasks.  And I did say that it would give him a
chance to look at AIX.  There are probably "worse" machines to be getting a
first impression from...

> At work,
> our homedirs are served off a quad 332MHz 604e box.  It's not what I'd
> call slow.

Look, you don't have to try to sell me on these machines.  (Though I think I
have you beat -- our WMS application is running on a quad 200 R50 and 100 or
so users banging away on Informix.  That box runs like a champ.)

> Right now, my web server is a 233MHz 7043-140, running Linux.

Yep, and mine is a 233Mhz P5 running Linux.  I would think the 604e would beat
it out, but I'm not sure by how much.

-E.