[rescue] IBM RS6000 43P-140

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Mon Apr 19 20:58:06 CDT 2004

On Monday 19 April 2004 09:16 pm, Thomas Gallaway wrote:
> Just found a IBM RS6k 43P-140. Wont show anything on the monitor but has
> VGA. It has PS2 so I assume it
> might be set to console. Will check that later.

RS/6000's (generally, there are some exceptions) don't do anything on the
serial port until after the OS is well on its way to being up (that's what
the LED is for).  Plug in a tube and standard PS/2 keyboard/mouse and you can
access the SMS screens for some very basic "diag" information and config.
Just press (or press several times) the F1 key in between the chirp sound
effect and the fanfare sound effect.  (Or is it F10?)

> It says' model 7043-140 on the front and 604e-200Mhz.
>
> Anybody know if that is a nice box? I want to start playing with AIX so
> I guess this might be perfect for that.

Slower, but it will let you play around for sure.  Will run anything up to
5.1, but no 5.2 since it's prep.

-E.