[rescue] Fixed Frequency monitor with C3D framebuffer...

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sun Apr 18 05:12:52 CDT 2004

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:51:46 -0500
Mike Hebel <nimitz at nimitzbrood.com> wrote:

> Does anybody know if the C3D can do 1600x1200, 102khz H, 76khz V?
Don't know about the Sun.

> Failing that could I easily hook this to something like say an
> Octane/O2?
I suspect it depends on the GFX of the Octane. You may need a SSI / SSE
and no SI / SE to get that high resolution with that H frequency. I
remember somthing that the SSI / SSE has a larger framebuffer and
possibly a faster RAM-DAC. Don't know about VPro. Framebuffer size is no
issue for the O2, RAM-DAC speed is. 1600x1200 at 76 Hz is around 150 MHz
pixelclock and most older RAM-DACs are 135 MHz.

If your hardware is capable of that timing you have to fight with SGIs
"Video Format Compiler", vfc(1G). It is an extra package on the IRIX
CDs. You can use it to programm custom video timings.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen