[rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Apr 18 00:47:51 CDT 2004

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Nick wrote:

> > I think that's perfectly fair, because corporations do not pay taxes.
> > Their customers, shareholders, and employees do.  Corporations merely
> > collect taxes.
> Why not?  They use the same resources.  They get the same rights.  Why
> shouldn't they pay the same taxes?

It's not a question of "shouldn't".  It's a question of "don't" and
"can't".

Let's say I own XYZ Widgets, Inc., and XYZ had a net profit of $150,000
this year.  My taxes come to $25k or something.  Who pays that?  Well,
either I've factored it into the cost of my product (so my customers
pay), or I pay my employees less (so my employees pay), or I take it out
of stock dividends (so the stockholders pay).

> They're supposed to pay taxes under the current structure.  What's
> their out?  Why shouldn't they pay taxes?

Corporations do not hold wealth.  Their owners do.  Therefore,
corporations cannot, by definition, pay taxes.  They merely collect tax
funds through their customers or from the equity of the owners or from
the benefits owed to the employees.

We should just abolish the ficticious notion of corporations paying tax
and just let the consumer pay it all in sales tax, like they do, anyway.
That will piss off the populace enough to maybe start screaming for
bloat reform.

Of course, that'd expose the suits in DC, and we can't have that.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."