[rescue] Computerfests

Micah R L lassloc at hotpop.com
Sat Apr 17 16:29:45 CDT 2004

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> If I bust my ass and make six digits a year, I want as LITTLE as possible
> of that money to go towards supporting freeloaders who -didn't-
> sacrifice sleep and time with their families to get there.  I'll give to
> church or charity to help those in need.  I DO NOT trust the gov't to be
> nearly as efficient or intelligent about it.

And this is the right answer.

The government's job description:
 - justice (making sure people get what they deserver - not what they need).
 - protection (technically falls under justice, but it includes things
like the police, who are supposed to protect us from bad guys)
 - defence (from other nations)

Feeding / clothing, basic human decency, whatever isn't part of the
description (and, in fact, is unjust to those who do earn the money if
it is required, thereby actively going agains thte job of the
government). That's the job of another organization.