[rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Apr 17 15:27:03 CDT 2004

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Mike Meredith wrote:

> Taxation is theft, but so is making use of any service provided by the
> government without paying for it. Driven on any roads recently ?

Yep.  And in Texas, the roads are paid via gas taxes and window
stickers.

> Live in a country with a strong army able to defend your country from
> tinpot dictators ?

That I'll pay for.  That army should not cost $xxxx/year per citizen.

> Ever made use of the justice system (even if you haven't had direct
> contact you will have used it) ?

I've had them make pretty good use of me, stealing land from my family
through a law technicality about right-of-way.  In TX, if you trespass
on someone's land repeatedly for a number of years, and the owner
doesn't give you written permission and doesn't haul your ass to court,
the tresspassor can request that the land he's been stomping on become a
public right-of-way.

> Education and health care is a bit more contentious,

And should (IMO) be paid for by fees rather than taxes, since people
can't be expected to use them consistently.  Some people, like me, only
get sick every 5 or 6 years, whereas some people, like SWMBO, get sick
every other month.

> Feeding and clothing people who cannot afford to do it themselves is
> basic human decency.

As harsh as this is going to sound, that's a matter of opinion.  When I
was unemployed and down, I leaned on my family, not the state.  People
who "can't" clothe themselves need to get a minimum wage job or two or
whore themselves out consulting like I did.

-I- think doing what you can to meet your debts and responsibilities is
basic human decency.  I do not want to be (nor think I am) a net sink on
society.

> It can be said to be rewarding bad behaviour (although I don't see how
> people would prefer to live on welfare rather than earn a living with
> a much higher standard of living),

It all depends on cost-of-living.  Where I grew up, for example, it's
entirely possible to live on $10k/year, if you're not big on
entertainment.

> Of course I'm somewhat biased as my salary is paid by taxes ... and a
> right bunch of stingy bastards those tax payers are :)

My salary is also paid by the taxpayers (of the State of Texas, not the
US), but I can document evidence of where I saved the taxpayers more
money than my salary and tools cost them.  I believe that's my
responsibility as a public servant.

> I believe the intention is to ensure that poor families have enough
> money to provide a reasonable standard of living for their children (and
> to ensure that it is worthwhile economically to work rather than stay on
> welfare). Mind you I'm not a fan of paying for other people's
> reproductive tendencies.

Me neither.  I'd be all for providing a much lower level of support
until those involved see to it (preferably through surgery) that they'll
not be reproducing anymore.  But, as I understand it, due to the wording
of the entitlement laws, it'd be a violation of their civil rights to
demand such.

> One possibility there which may not be easy or viable (but is certainly
> possible) is to move closer to where you work (or work closer to where
> you live).

I'm only 25-30 minutes away from work.  I was 75 minutes away from work
a year ago.  It's not the length of the drive--it's the overburdening
depression of watching this society perform so inefficiently.  It just
wears a fellow down.

> Or if you have a reasonable boss talk to him about working those 8 hours
> at unusual times (afternoon and evening),

I work for the government.  I think that pretty much answers that. ;)

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."