[rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware)

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Sat Apr 17 06:50:50 CDT 2004

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 03:58:50AM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
> And then, when you get somewhere, finally, the suits from .gov take it
> all away, at the point of a gun and under threat of imprisonment and
> permanent loss of civil rights, to feed/clothe/bathe/medicate/educate
> someone who doesn't have their shit together.  Our society -rewards- bad
> behavior.  Ask any suit or crackwhore with 8 kids on welfare: crime
> pays.

A friend used to be an IRS auditor.  He was very good at his job, but,
being a white male, realized he was never going to be promoted based
on merit, so he left.

He pointed out that the tax laws essentially reward stupid people for
having children and penalize hard-working and/or intelligent people
for having kids.

Example: at $30k per year, you get the full deduction per child.  At
$200K per year (say a doctor or someone who started his own business,
who is more likely to have either a high IQ or just a lot of
initiative), the deduction is gone or severely reduced.

> No, it isn't, but it's difficult to attain escape velocity to leave "The
> System".  I'm working on it.  I have So Many projects I could turn into
> viable, sellable products, but dammit.  I have no energy[1], and, when I
> do, I almost don't see the point in fighting the juggernauts and only
> want to play my music and go to bed.

You can do it (I have partially escaped, I think).

If you have to have your butt in a chair for 8 hours, but do a lot of
your work at other times then you have time to work on your projects,
it seems to me :-)

> [1] Which, from SWMBO's account of my sleeping, sounds like the result
>     of sleep apnea.

Get that looked at, PRONTO!  SWMBO has it, 82-85% vs. a normal
person's 92+ .

--Patrick