[rescue] needed: el cheapo 10bt switch (not hub), 1U size

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sat Apr 17 04:15:47 CDT 2004

Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
[...]
> Just a minor nit: the host only sees traffic destined for its segment, not
> just its MAC.

This is true, but if everything is on a switch, there'll be one host per
segment, and the only segments with traffic for multiple MACs will be
between switches.

If you've got a hub hanging off a switch port and a load of machines plugged
into that, sure the machines on that hub will see each other's traffic.

Randomly mixing switches and hubs on a network is not a good security plan.

--
I remember the first time that I saw Solaris x86 running. I asked why the
drive light was on solid. The person running the system shrugged and said he