[rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware)

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Fri Apr 16 18:08:55 CDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> > Piffle.  If it's a hamfest, take an HT.  Agree on a simplex
> > freq beforehand and use tone or code squelch.  Cellphones
> > at a hamfest!  For shame!  You might as well take CBs!
>
> Well, I suppose I could take an HT ... but will my FCC Third Class
> Radioman's License, circa 1970, allow me to use it?

Depends on the HT.  You could always go FRS.  But then we're pretty
much back to CB or cellphone.

*sigh* I suppose it's inevitable that hamfests would devolve to
the point where the attendees aren't using HTs.  After all, most
of the computerfest attendees are using Windows.

> Not to mention that a cellphone is handier for calling non-Hams and either
> asking if they want a 1957 Foobar Excelsior for $5.00, or gloating that you
> just bought one.

You might violate certain regs by asking if they want to buy
something over the radio.  As far as gloating:  autopatch.  Specifically
designed for talking to those poor unfortunates who aren't hams.

It's been a while since I worked with any autopatch gear.  Do they
make autopatch boards that interface with cellphones nowadays?  A
nice add-on to the in-car repeater would be autopatch... maybe
a little packet activity between the laptop and the server in the
car... mmm, that's the stuff.

-DanD

# The thinking that we are has brought us to where we have already been.
# In order to go somewhere else, we must think in a different way. -Einstein
#