[rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Apr 16 17:57:49 CDT 2004

Dan Duncan <dand at pcisys.net> wrote:
[...]
> Piffle. If it's a hamfest, take an HT. Agree on a simplex freq beforehand
> and use tone or code squelch. Cellphones at a hamfest! For shame! You
> might as well take CBs!

[Coo, English hasn't half diverged across the Pond.]

I often go to radio rallies even though I'm no ham, because there's so much
other interesting non-radio stuff at them. True, there's tons of tat and x86
stuff (but I repeat myself :) but there's lots of really interesting bits,
and it's also useful for restocking the component (as in resistors) bins.

The mobile is handy for calling mates who haven't come along if I've spotted
something I reckon they might fancy.

--
Another tradition is to soak the pudding in brandy and then set fire to it.
One year we couldn't find any brandy so we used whisky. This produced a