[rescue] MI/X X server (was: first real server hardware)

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Fri Apr 16 14:06:23 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 14:42, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> Is there a way to set up the Windows end of things to make connection, X
> server startup, and host display export a one-click affair?  When I looked
> at the MI/X doco (some years ago), they had this whole
> telnet-in-set-variables-start-X drill.  I could certainly do that, but I'd
> like something that's easier.

I start Cygwin/X on startup in Windows by running the startxwin.bat file
from Cygwin.  Use the multiwindow/rootless option in the batch file (I
think it defaults to that now) and the only thing you'll see different
is an X logo in your system tray.  X apps will each open in their own
window and have the windows "window manager" controls, so you don't need
a wm.

Then you can just make batch files or shell scripts to do:

c:\cygwin\usr\bin\ssh -X ${REMOTE_SERVER} ${X_APPLICATION}

and assuming you have public/private keys set up already, the
application just appears automagically.

Cheers,

Caleb