[rescue] needed: el cheapo 10bt switch (not hub), 1U size

Kevin Loch kloch at gurunet.net
Fri Apr 16 12:11:29 CDT 2004

Francois Dion wrote:

> On a hub, I dont think you can sniff the 10mb segment from the 100 mbit
> segment and vice versa. At least, it's been my experience.

That's the way it has to work.  The only way to connect 10 and 100mbit
segments is with a switch, so a 10/100 hub is really a 10mbit hub,
a 100mbit hub and a 2 port switch all in one box.

In fact in the early days of 100mbit, My company bought some 100mbit
only hubs to compliment our 10mibt hubs.  To avoid having to create
separate ip subnets, I set up a cheap pc with two 3c509 cards running
pcbridge (an old dos program).  It worked great.