[rescue] first real server hardware

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Apr 16 10:44:16 CDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    Yes, it is TONS faster, even at the same clock speed.  Strange but
> true.  As I understand it, the memory subsystem is badly constricted on
> the Indigo2.  There's also the I/O issue.

The problem with Indigo2/R10000 is that it's mostly identical to the
Indigo2/R4000 with only changes to the chips which talk to the processor
bus.  A four-year-old machine doesn't do justice to a band-new CPU if
the new CPU is lightyears ahead of the old one in terms of development.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."