[rescue] first real server hardware

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Fri Apr 16 09:31:59 CDT 2004

Dave McGuire wrote:

>    Nah.  "Mass" is an IBM 370/168.  Sadly I don't have one of those. :-(

I'd love to have the one I worked on in 1979. Two processors (sorry not
SNMP baby), one with 3 meg of "core" and one with 4. You could could run it
as an asymetric MP system with shared memory or split.

I/O was a fixed head disk (2305) which we called a drum, hundreds of
3330 (100 or 200 meg depeneding upon the model), 16 tape drives, 2 1000
line per minuter printers, 2 card readers, a card punch (odd one, it
could print on the cards too), 25 or so remote (card reader, line
printer terminals) and well over a hundered tty or similar terminals.

Even with all of that I doubt that it has enough CPU power to boot windows
XP and run notepad. :-(

Geoff.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com