[rescue] Not exactly sun, but....

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Thu Apr 15 20:29:12 CDT 2004

On Thursday, April 15, 2004, at 08:03 PM, Michael Free wrote:

> I've got *counts* 11 of them. No documentation, and I've even hunted
> down
> the AMI BIOS serial numbers to no avail.

I'm pretty sure these aren't going to need any sort of incompatible
drivers.  I suspect that almost any 'nix of a sort will run on them
just fine.  The drive connectors at the top are obviously IDE and
floppy.  They should "just work" as long as you power them.

Heck, with a good enough power supply you could probably run a rack of
them as long as the data/address/irq channels were isolated.  Though
getting them networked in a rack configuration would be a little
problematic.  At the least you'd have to have a two-connector ISA
backplane for each card and use a simple ISA network card like one of
the old 3Com style 10/100s.

Or they could be used as fairly complex controllers provided you hooked
some D/A and control circuitry to the serial or parallel ports.

Mike