[rescue] SparcU5 questions

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sun Apr 11 08:53:31 CDT 2004

" From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
"
" The hard drive on my U5 just went belly up. :-( teach me to use those
" cheap chinese IBM drives.
"
" I have a question about CD drives to go into it. I have a tar file of the
" system on a linux machine that I can use to rebuild it.
"
" The file is too big to fit one a CD and would have to be split. The other
" option I have is to replace the IDE CD drive with an IDE DVD drive.

is the tar compressed?  if not, would it fit if you bzipped it?

" I have one that is both a CD-writer and DVD reader. Can I replace the
" Goldstar drive in the U5 with it. Will it read/boot Solaris 9 CD's?

probably.  won't hurt anything to try.

" Is there any software to write CD's on an IDE burner that runs on the
" U5 under Solaris 9?

not afaik.  imho there's only cdrecord and it's scsi only.

" Can I just boot from the Solaris 9 CD and mount the linux machine via NFS?

could be.  you'd have to start all the rc3 stuff by hand...