[rescue] new house

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sat Apr 10 12:23:08 CDT 2004

Thomas Gallaway <rescue at port11.net> wrote:
[...]
> The cops wanted to raid a friend of mines's basement datacenter. It was
> glowing under the IR light, high energy bill and he had friends over for a
> while so the water usage was high too. He told them to not come back until
> they have a search warrant.

I've has a similar bureaucrat-baiting experience with TV Licensing, who tend
not to believe that anybody could possibly decline watching wall-to-wall
chat shows, makeover programmes, and political propaganda. Me, I've got
broadband. Er, television, what's that?

What is not generally known about them is that they are a civilian
organisation, but they're quite happy to present the illusion that they have
legal enforcement powers. In response to yet another automatically-generated
rude (and quite possibly actionable) letter threatening dire consequences
for non-payment, I wrote back pointing out exactly what their rights were,
and one of their rights was to be arrested for trespass if they bother me
again.

When I got another form letter (sent after they'd received my previous
letter) I responded with a copy of the first, and a price list for anything
else I have to do to deal with them. It started at #60.

They've now just sent me a written undertaking to not bother me at all for
the next four years. Result! :)

--
ObReligion: On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I'm an agnostic. On Tuesdays,
Thursdays, and Saturdays I'm an atheist. On Sundays, I just can't make up my