[rescue] HD data recovery recommendations?

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Sat Apr 10 00:36:33 CDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 00:42, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 10:58:18PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > > I've got a Hitachi (e.g., IBM) 160G IDE drive (formatted UFS+ under OS X)
> > > that won't spin up.
> > Have you tried the freezer trick?
>
> Brand new drive, and I think someone else tried to use a 19V power supply
> when its firewire enclosure wanted 12V, anyway...
>
> Completely dead, won't even show on a bus probe.  I think the PCB is toast.

Find an identical drive, swap PCB's, give it a try... if it works,
recover the data and charge 50 to 75% of what the data recovery places
will charge... you'll save them money, and you'll make a lot if it
works.... many drive PCBs have picofuses and such on them... might be
as simple as a blown picofuse from the overvoltage....  the HDA likely
is ok...

-- Curt