[rescue] Replacement for canned air?

Mike F lists at ibrew.net
Fri Apr 9 09:40:33 CDT 2004

Wes Will wrote:
>>Yep, I have a 5 lb. straight CO2 tank for my beer keg, but I
>>never considered using it to blow dust out of machines. Anyway,
>>I'd have to figure out some type of fitting to interface with
>>the ball-lock keg fitting. As you said, though, the nitrogen
>

> Hose barb fittings work pretty well, and you can crank your regulator wide
> open.  (I also homebrew beer, occasionally wine,
> mead/metheglin/melomel/cyser/pyment, ciders, and make my own vinegar and
> alegar.)

Yeah, I think a series of adapters, ending up with a hose barb,
would do the trick. So far it's all beer for me, but someday I'd
like to make mead, and my wife has been bugging me for years to
make cider. She's not a beer drinker, but she's a real cider
connoisseur :)

>>p.s. - I think nitrogen serving gas has become over-used. It's
>>fine for Guinness, Murphy's, Beamish, etc. But personally I
>>think it's nasty for lighter ales and session beers.
>

> If it requires nitrogen, there's something wrong with it.  Heavy dark beers
> such as Guinness, et alii, well, you can make a case for it but I think
> pulling your pint with a good beer engine works just as well.

That's the way the Guinness people want it - they set standards
under which their beer is to be served, and I believe the N2 is
part of that. But I, too, would take a good hand-pulled real ale
any day, foam-be-damned :)

> And btw, I agree:  nitrogenating a small ale is an abomination.

There are several British export ales that are served under N2,
the most common of which is Boddington's. I just don't see the
point.

> --
> wes will
> I am Fermentus of Borg.