[rescue] RS6k serial console tips?

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Fri Apr 9 00:51:04 CDT 2004

On Apr 8, 2004, at 8:42 PM, Todd Carson wrote:

> Since I don't have the right cable to connect the RS/6000 to my U10
> sitting right beneath it, I'm using a Mac Classic with Kermit. They're
> connected with a Sun-branded DB-25 to MiniDIN-8 cable ande a Radio
> Shack "null modem adapter". I'm assuming the cable and terminal
> settings (9600 8N1, DTR handshaking) are okay since I was able to use
> the kernel debugger. Maybe this is a bad assumption to make, I don't
> know.

The problem is that the tty driver expects hardware flow control to
work so it can detect when a terminal is or is not attached. The kernel
debugger doesn't bother with such formalities.

Actually, that isn't the problem so much as the Sun serial port has a
different pinout from the one on your Mac, and the corresponding fact
that your dtr/dsr/cd lines are thereby h0z4r3d. Don't use the Sun cable
unless you don't want handshaking to work.

ok
bear