[rescue] Current collections...

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Apr 8 15:35:58 CDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 03:13:56PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 02:06:31PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> > Oy.  Yeah, Cardima (when I first joined them) has all their machines on
> > a single 10baseT segment on a 72-port Asante hub.  That network hit 60%
> > collisions sometimes.
> > Needless to say, as soon as I could persuade them to give me the budget,
> > I ripped it out and built them a real network that actually worked.
>
> When I started at Comco, they had a bunch of cascaded eight-port 10baseT
> hubs.  I replaced it with a Grand Junction/Cisco Catalyst (2800 I think
> it was?).  25x10baseT, 8x100baseT, all switched.
>
> The network was *beautiful* after that. 8-)

Yup.  I wanted to go all 10/100 switches at Cardima, but (for the sake
of maybe $1k in budget) the most I could afford to do was a mixture of
shared-100 (no more than 12 machines per segment) and switched-10 to the
desktop, with all the servers on a switched 10/100 backbone.

Needless to say, since most of the Macs could only do 10baseT, this
necessitated keeping track of every office move and who had what plugged
into what port, so that port could be plugged to the correct-speed hub
or switch, which cost us FAR more in time and PITA later than spending a
lousy $1k extra at the time would have.

Such are the "economies" of bean-counters.

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :