[rescue] Current collections...

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Apr 8 13:06:31 CDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 11:36:48AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 11:49:33AM -0400, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> > I dunno about anywhere else in the world, but the used computer stores here,
> > especially RePC, have tons of huge old 10baseT and 10base2 networking stuff,
> > and it's really cheap.  24-port hubs/switches, etc.  Everyone's upgrading, I
> > guess.
>
> Goodwill here had some insane 144-port 10baseT hub a while back (bunch of
> boards in a huge rackmount backplane) for $75 a while back.
>
> My thought: "MY GOD, THE COLLISIONS"

Oy.  Yeah, Cardima (when I first joined them) has all their machines on
a single 10baseT segment on a 72-port Asante hub.  That network hit 60%
collisions sometimes.

Needless to say, as soon as I could persuade them to give me the budget,
I ripped it out and built them a real network that actually worked.

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :