[rescue] RE: E5000 Pricing?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Apr 8 10:52:24 CDT 2004

On Apr 8, 2004, at 10:05 AM, William Enestvedt wrote:
>> If you get an E5000 for $325, I will either shit in my
>> pants or pass out.
>>
>    You're going to smell *bad* when you wake up.
>    By the way, paying a few hundred bucks for CPU Boards or a fiver for
> a CPU makes me grind my teeth: I just dug up last fall's quote from our
> Sun VAR for new boards for my E3500s: they want over $25,000 for a
> Board
> with two CPUs and a fistful of memory. (That's *after* our generous
> .edu
> discount!)
>    Like hell, you thieves...

   Exactly.  Which is another reason why, when "suit procedures" invade
a company or other organization, it just bleeds money everywhere.

   Smart (i.e., non-suit) people buy those boards on eBay.  Worried
about one dying?  Buy two.  REALLY worried?  Buy three.  They're small
and don't take up much closet space.

   Worried about some moron grabbing your spares and putting them into
production?  Lock them up in your desk.

   Some moron picks the lock, steals your spares, and puts them into
production?  Find the moron and either fire him or break his fingers.
Either way, you get your spares back.

   These are not difficult problems to solve, or difficult concepts to
master.  Suits, however, often get large kickbacks from said VARs,
so...

         -Dave