[rescue] Re: NetApps

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Wed Apr 7 22:57:25 CDT 2004

Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 10:03:02AM -0500, Steve Hatle wrote:
>
>>That's the one I have- I can't believe I left it off my list... I've got 14
>>4GB drives in mine. I guess the original NetApp was black (400?) but this
>>one is a platinum/putty color. It's a big case- room for all those drives
>>internally, but still plenty of room to work on the board.
>

> I've got a F330 here that has a tan/putty faceplate instead of the "nuclear
> yellow" faceplates that production units shipped with.  (it actually belongs
> to another listmember).  After talking with some guys on the Toasters list,
> turns out that it was a "heat/temperature torture test chamber" unit, for
> controlling shelves of disks while they were heated to failure.

Iirc correctly, all our F330s were the same color as the disk
trays.  I know they weren't nuclear yellow.

We even had a couple of those "shark gill" faceplated ones
(540's?) with the polished aluminum.  I hear those still go for
good prices (just the faceplates).

The life of a sys admin would be a lot easier if all the other
stuff we use worked as well as NetApps.  Of course, they'd be
hiring monkeys instead of folks like us to do the job, then, too.
Oh, wait, they already started doing that...nevermind.

=Nadine=

(yeah, tough day at work)