[rescue] Current collections...

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Wed Apr 7 14:26:13 CDT 2004

On Apr 7, 2004, at 12:10 PM, Dan Duncan wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Robert Rose wrote:
>> [*] I'm actually more annoyed that Compaq took over Digital in the
>> first place, but that's a whole 'nother rant.
>
> Aye.  Compaq didn't MAKE anything.  They took someone else's
> operating system and installed it on someone else's architecture
> and then sold it as their own product.  They were computer
> dealers, nothing more.
>
> They weren't worthy to buy DEC.  (It was DEC when I worked there,
> and I shall always call it DEC.  So Nyah.)

I worked for a part of Compaq that did make their own 'stuff' - what
used to be Netelligent and Thomas-Conrad.

NICs, routers, switches, hubs and weird NetWare servers that were a
combination of server and switch.  All designed in-house, most produced
the same way.

Of course, no one has ever HEARD of Compaq brand network gear, but it
was sold (badly) for a while.  I've still got a Compaq 'Q' I wrenched
from the lobby wall the day we closed the facility.

~brian