[rescue] Revive an APC Matrix 5000?

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Wed Apr 7 00:15:14 CDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 10:44:15PM -0500, Steve Hatle wrote:
> It was in use, but then sat unused and unplugged for about a year. Now, when
> you try and fire it up, it can't charge the batteries. It will work in
> bypass mode, but that just makes it a big, heavy power strip. <grin>

My understanding is that sometimes, you can recharge the batteries
after hooking them up to a certain kind of charger that reconditions
them.  I don't think they end up good as new, however.

I think there is a "battery desulphater" charger that basically varies
the voltage to the battery in such a way that sulphur buildup on the
lead plates get zapped, allowing the battery to once again hold a
charge.  However, IANAEE .

--Patrick