[rescue] Revive an APC Matrix 5000?

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Tue Apr 6 22:44:15 CDT 2004

All,

Work has a non-functional APC Matrix 5000 that I can "dispose" of as I will.
It's the head unit plus 1 additional external battery pack.

It was in use, but then sat unused and unplugged for about a year. Now, when
you try and fire it up, it can't charge the batteries. It will work in
bypass mode, but that just makes it a big, heavy power strip. <grin>

Being the electrical idiot that I am, I'm wondering if giving the batteries
a trickle charge might revive them enough so that they can be recognized and
then cycled by the electronics on the Matrix. Or, is it just better to
source the replacement batteries if I want to get it functional? Anyone have
a preferred vendor and a ballpark cost on that?

My evil side wants to bring it home and get it running. My E3000 would like
it, I'm sure. But it's a slippery slope- I'd have to wire for 220, and once
I did that, who knows what I might bring home next...

On the other hand, anyone who wants to make an offer for cash or trade
goodies, speak up. It's currently located in downtown Minneapolis.

Steve