[rescue] Current collections...

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Tue Apr 6 20:38:11 CDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 03:04:09PM -0700, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
> > Hmmm... $4K?  They were > $7K new, last year... haven't seen one turn
> > up on Ebay yet.
>
> $4K, for $50 worth of parts and special software? 8-)

The LD-417 isn't the old "paint a PC case blue" job like the 416 or 430;
it was a 1U box, much more like a "real" Cisco... Of course, inside it's a
600Mhz P-III, 512MB and some special software. :-)

It's the company's box, it was brand spankin' new 1 year ago, and I have
to try to get what I can for it... and since I haven't done a *huge*
amount of market research, $4K is probably a bit high, but some liquidator
quoted me $10K for the router + load balancer pair six months ago and I
figured I'd float it out there.

Holy crap... Froogle says the _cheapest_ used one is $6000 - new ones are
still ~$7500, the 417G gigabit model is >$11K!  I'd say buy mine for $4K
now, before I come to my senses. :-)

> This was my last cisco-related project:
>
> http://www.ciscohelp.org/frankenpix.php

Nifty.  Of course, the old Telebit Netblazers were just PC+custom BIOS
designs too; we always wanted to build clone Netblazers because their
prices were rather insane.  Even NetApps started out as essentially the
same thing (although they did move to Alphas, then went back to Intel,
they do their own motherboard designs).

-- Chris