[rescue] Current collections...

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Apr 6 14:38:40 CDT 2004

"From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
"
"On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 11:31:41AM -0700, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
"
"> Auspex NS3000, 4x5.25" shelves, 5x 3.5" shelves, 12 SCSI, 12 Ethernet,
"> 	(needs a CPU!  uh, but it "runs" otherwise :-)
"
"Oh yeah, I've got a 530 with 4x(7x9G) SCSI shelves.  Its just not worth
"running to actually use as storage, though - too much power$/gig.  Cheaper
"to just throw a huge IDE drive in a crap-pc and do regular backups.

couldn't you just replace those 9g with something huge?

i've always wanted to combine a solbourne with an auspex, but i rather
suspect the result would be worse than a solbourne alone.  my one
experience - a three-month contract - was so unreliable i got to know
the fs man very well[0].  and they never had a chassis with enough
slots to max cpus -and- memory.

[0] bumped into a cow-orker a few years ago and he said they finally
got relief with a sun 4k.