[rescue] So, I'm bringing up my E3000....

Janet L. Campbell janet at foonly.com
Tue Apr 6 12:47:21 CDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> (partially because we ran out of heating oul and this place is an
> icebox.)
>
> Anyway, I'm bringing up the E3000 to install Solaris 9 on it.  Now, I'm
> quote familiar with the process for setting up a mirrored bootdisk on
> Solaris.  It seems a shame to waste two 9G Cheetahs on a root mirror
> though.  Does anyone know of a way to set up Solaris 9 to boot from
> RAID5?

You want your root partition to be RAID-1 (straight mirroring), because
the OBP and bootloader don't know about RAID.  Once the root partition is
mounted (and assuming that all of the bits you need for RAID support are
in the root partition, which is standard) you can mount other partitions
any way you like.  Remember, software RAID on Solaris operates on
partitions (slices), not whole disks.

RAID-5 with only two drives is silly, of course.  You could have
additional drives in the same RAID-5 set for, say, /usr, but that is kind
of a weird layout.

-Janet