[rescue] stuff I forgot...

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Apr 6 12:30:32 CDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 12:58:39PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> and it's silly to run an Octane headless.  (how many sets of hands &

Well, an Octane ain't an Origin 2k, but it would make a fairly fine
server with a tremendous amount of bandwidth for many tasks.  Just think
how much disk capacity you could add.  You can reportedly get 266megs
sustained out of the PCI cage, and probably twice that off the XIO
slots.  Add a (admittedly hard to find) QFE, an FDDI card, and either
Ultrascsi cards or FC-AL cards and watch it scream as a file server or
small database server.

Also, it should, I think, make a fairly affordable HIPPI (assuming one
can avoid the being assulted on the HIPPI card) file server, if one
didn't already have a monstrous Alpha for the task.

The only major short coming I can think of is the overhead of GigE can
reportedly be problematic on anything less than a dual 300.