[rescue] New acquisition... (AIX)

Janet L. Campbell janet at foonly.com
Tue Apr 6 12:36:23 CDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> On our NCR 315 (circa 1972) we had a similar printer, except that it had 132
> hammers, IIRC.  It was pretty fast, but it sounded like you were being
> strafed by giant bumblebees with Gatling guns.

That's the best description of the sound of a multihammer printer I think
that I've ever heard.  :)

> It handled up to 6-part paper with interleaved carbon layers.  Of course, we
> had a machine to separate the copies, wind up the carbons, etc.  It was
> almost faster than doing it by hand, too, but it was a little cleaner, since
> you handled the carbons less.  Either way, though, the "paper monkey" looked
> like a coal miner by the end of his shift.  Since I was the monkey when I
> started, I was quite happy when we went to carbonless multi-part paper.

I slaved away as an operator/"data processing coordinator" for one summer,
and I remember those old decollating and bursting machines well.  It took
real work to keep from getting covered in carbon, which we were still
using in the early '90s.  7-part greenbar was my arch nemesis.

And some people get squeamish about laser toner.  Furrfu.

-Janet