[rescue] Current collections...

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Tue Apr 6 11:01:30 CDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 03:00:15AM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> From: Mike Parson <mparson at bl.org>
>> Date: 2004/04/05 Mon PM 10:00:10 GMT
>> To: "Torquil MacCorkle, III" <torquil at chemist.com>,
>>	The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [rescue] Current collections...
>
>> My Xterminal 1 netboots NetBSD (don't have the official Sun load for
>> it).
>
> I'd be interested in any info on that - I've got an XTerminal 1 w 128
> Meg RAM & VSIMM looking for a purpose in life.

What additional info do you need?  My linux box is set up with rarp,
bootparmd, tftp, nfs, all configured according to the NetBSD netboot
howto, it just works.  I also boot my SLC and IPC off this config as
well.

> The 128 Meg RAM was because I found 4x 32 Meg DIMMs too cheap to pass
> up... ;^)

For an Xterminal, 128 megs seems a bit excessive. ;)

>> It works, but attempting to run Netscape off my Linux box and
>> displaying on the Xterminal 1 makes Xsun dump core.  But mozilla and
>> konqueror work fine.
>
> I'd love to run a solaris session on mine - it would make a nice thin
> client for my workbench (thinking of putting a teminal on my workbench
> with a 15" screen for quick reference web searches, etc.)

Solaris should work fine too, just netbooting Solaris off a Linux NFS
server tends to take some tweeking, NetBSD just worked.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org