[rescue] New acquisition... (AIX)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 6 10:12:14 CDT 2004

> From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> Date: 2004/04/04 Sun AM 01:59:25 GMT
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] New acquisition... (AIX)

> That was my first view of a computer: an impact printer
> hammering output into greenbar.
>
> That and a line printer will always mean "real computer"
> to me, for that reason.

My first, a KSR-33 terminal on canary roll paper, with an Anderson Jacobson 103a modem (110 baud - no waiting!) - of course, this was in the late 70's...

In my HS we got a donated printer, that was quite odd - it had a 132 column wide "wheel" that had every printable character in a vertical circle around the wheel, and between the wheel and the paper was the ribbon. To type a character, a moving hammer went from side to side while the type wheel spun... as the type wheel and hammer were in tohe proper position, the hammer would knock the paper onto the ribbon, which would then hit the type wheel and put the character on the paper...

Odd, yet fascinating to a HS senior in 1983