[rescue] Current collections...

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Tue Apr 6 08:58:59 CDT 2004

I've considered that, and it's good to know that they work that
well in that capacity, but i use the 8100/80 for MacOS audio
production (old version of Opcode Studio Vision.)  I could dual
boot of course, but i need my servers to be running 24/7.

If it wasn't for that, i'd have the 8100 replace all of the
486's functions, but as for a file server.... that NuBus Mac
could not make decent use of my SCSI 160 drives (for heavy
local file shuffling) or GigE fiber nics.  Both of which, my
dual 450 can make use of fine.

If i spent some time with either OpenBSD or m68k linux i suppose
that the Centris 660 AV could do dhcp/samba/netatalk but i'd have
to house the drives in an external enclosure.  That and i hate
Apple's damn Ethernet transceiver connectors on both the 660 and
the 8100.  The cable gets pulled out of the machine if you breath
on them.  I suppose duct tape could help that.

/KRM

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:05:32 -0400
Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net> wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2004, at 6:36 PM, Kevin wrote:
>
> > Very true :)
> >
> > I use the dual 450 as an NFS/backup server (also for linux
> > games) but that's only because i don't have enough storage on
> > any of the"real" machines to do the job.  The 486DX4-100
> > still provides samba/netatalk/dhcp/backup services.  I'd like
> > to move my file services to an FCAL setup on a Sun of some
> > sort in the future but haven't had the money or time as of
> > late.
> >
> > /KRM
> >
> Dude... for mucho fun, good performance, and a challenge
> without spending practically any money... replace all the early
> pentiums and 486 equipment with old powermacs running Linux or
> NetBSD.  My 8100/80 is surprisingly fast running Linux.
>
> Andrew

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."
keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/