[rescue] SCA drives

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Mon Apr 5 19:42:23 CDT 2004

On Monday 05 April 2004 19:19, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 05:27:25PM -0600, Dan Duncan wrote:
> > I have a few questions about SCA drives...
> >
> > I'm trying to populate the hot swap bays in my
> > newly rescued HP Netserver LC2000R... (dual PIII-733MHz)
> >
> > For testing purposes I'm not especially concerned with
> > obtaining the correct hot swap trays.  I have a few 1.6"
> > SCA drives, so I figure I can just fit half as many, right?
> > Wrong.  The connector doesn't attempt to reach.  Does
> > the SCA connector on 1" drives normally stick out a little
> > more, or are the 1.6" drives I have brain dead?
>
> The problem is that if you have an SCA backplane designed for 1"
> drives, and you try to put 1.6" drives in it, the drive casing hits
> the SCA connector for the next slot "up" before the drive's own SCA
> connector seats.

If you're too cheap to get a proper backplane or 1" drives, your time
isn't worth much, and don't mind possibly ruining the backplane, you
could just "remove" every other connector.  I did that to a Sparc 5 SCA
backplane to fit a 1.6" drive (removed the top connector using pliers
and a very sharp pocket knife that had to then be resharpened
afterwards).  It "works" but I wouldn't do it to anything I valued.

However, some 1.6" drives do have the SCA connector sticking out the
back so that they fit into backplanes for 1" drives.  4GB Seagate
Baracudas (ST15150x) come to mind... and are the only drive I've seen
like that.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/