[rescue] SCA drives

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Mon Apr 5 18:27:25 CDT 2004

I have a few questions about SCA drives...

I'm trying to populate the hot swap bays in my
newly rescued HP Netserver LC2000R... (dual PIII-733MHz)

For testing purposes I'm not especially concerned with
obtaining the correct hot swap trays.  I have a few 1.6"
SCA drives, so I figure I can just fit half as many, right?
Wrong.  The connector doesn't attempt to reach.  Does
the SCA connector on 1" drives normally stick out a little
more, or are the 1.6" drives I have brain dead?  (They're Seagate
4GB, which I would expect to be fairly normal?)  Are there SCA drives
made to be hotswapped and others that are not?  I'd prefer to use
1.6" drives for the long term because there seem to be tons available.
We're unloading literally boxes of 1" SCA drives in hotswap carriers
for various vendors, but alas 1) none are HP[0] and 2) we aren't
allowed to bid on them, period.  They must be sold or scrapped.[1][2]

Secondly, does anyone have any hotswap drive trays that would
fit an HP Netserver LC2000R?

Thanks for any info.

-DanD

[0] as HP was.  Many ARE Compaq
[1] Why, yes... the guy who said so WAS wearing a suit.  Why do you ask?
[2] Hmmm, I won't be working here at the end of the month... perhaps I
    can bid on them then?

# "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."  -Lazarus Long