[rescue] Oh no! This poor Origin server.....

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Apr 3 13:22:51 CST 2004

Sat, 03 Apr 2004 @ 11:03 -0500, Dave McGuire said:

> On Apr 2, 2004, at 8:20 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> >>  Well...think of it in the context of the geomagnetic field.  Any
> >>ferrous metals within a magnetic field will distort that
> >>field...which,
> >>when viewed from the perspective of a single point in space, will be
> >>apparent as variations in the intensity of the field.
> >>
> >>  So...use it as a hypersensitive metal detector.  Not to find watches
> >>on the beach, but to find coins under a thousand feet of water.
> >
> >There is so much metal all over the place though... how do you
> >see through the noise?
>
>   There's not THAT much metal on the ocean floor.  They're actually
> quite effective in that environment.

On the ocean floor, no... but in some areas there is a lot of junk, like
coastal rivers, bays, harbors, etc.

I was just wondering how you tune out things you are close too.

For example in eastern Virginia, we have wrecks around, including German
submarines.

If you are near something like that, does it bother  the device?

I assume it doesn't, because it seems like the design would be
almost like a "shotgun microphone".

Am I right?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We are all of us in the gutter, some of us
looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde]