[rescue] Oh no! This poor Origin server.....

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Sat Apr 3 01:38:40 CST 2004

> Not to mention that I've yet to see a Linux box survive a load
> of 42+, much less be useable, as I've seen with Solaris on Sun
> Enterprise hardware.

Well, I just saw it last week, load of 120+ was nothing extraordinary.
We were stress-testing a network service and this was a real CPU load
including heavy network traffic. The computer was somewhat sluggish
(well, it has to be because of timesharing unless you renice the
offenders) but logging in over ssh and seeing what's going on was stiil
fully possible. Needless to say, it stabilized when the test was over
and everything was like nothing would have happened. Athlon 800, 512M
RAM.

Given enough RAM to prevent thrashing, almost every current OS should
handle loads like this. Well, _should_ :)

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)