[rescue] New acquisition... (AIX)

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Apr 2 11:54:02 CST 2004

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 05:19:27PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:

> The big trouble I have with your allegation that Linux is pretty much as
> bad as Windows, is that I haven't seen that much trouble with Linux ...
> if I thought it was as bad, I wouldn't still be running it on some of my
> (less critical) servers ... they'd be running *BSD.

I've seen a lot of trouble with linux.  Problem is I have no indication
that anything else would be better on that particular hardware (I mean,
what are the chances that NetBSD or FreeBSD will deal with a flaky
NE2000 clone that crashes the machine better than linux does).

It's like the old saying.  Unix is the second worst operating system
there is.  Everything else is tied for the worst (please don't take
offense VMS, OS/400, and zOS fans).  Maybe all the unix alikes are tied
for second on the basic of not having the same strengths and weekness.
Whatever.  It all kinda sucks.

> Some of it is still under development. I've been bitten by driver
> problems maybe once in 11-12 years, and as I recall the problem was
> fixed in the next kernel release.

I've had tons of problems with video card drivers on linux.  Generally,
it beats running them unaccelerated though.