[rescue] Oh no! This poor Origin server.....

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Fri Apr 2 11:19:31 CST 2004

Dave McGuire quoted me and wrote:

> > If I'd busted up a system like that, it would have cost a freakin'
> > fortune to get the parts, plus the time they spent in transit, and I
> > would probably have been fired as soon as the system came
> > back on line -- justifiably.
>
> ...but you WOULDN'T have busted up a system like that, because you
> Have A Clue.

   Oh, well...you're very kind.

> Hence my argument for having clueful staff.

    When you put it that way, I see what you're saying. :7)

> People don't buy support contracts for things like cars or drill
> presses, and they're tools just like computers are.

   Ugh, that reminds me: I have to change the oil in my minivan this
weekend. [Don't laugh: I love that beast.] While I could pay the chimps
at the dealership $too_much+1 to do it, I'll do it myself. However, I
often wish I could have their specialized tools. I mean, considering how
close to that one hot manifold-thing I have to lay the inside of my
wrist to loosen the oil filter, I assume they _must_ have some secret
tools or techniques to avoid flaying & cauterizing their tendons.
   And I guess I assume the same thing of other people I pay to take
care of my stuff: you better have a few tricks up your sleeve to ensure
a job well done -- better and faster and cheaper than I can do it -- or
I'll do it my own damn self.
   Plus, having spent a few years doing deskside support for some really
stupid people, I like to be the one doing the hovering once in a while.
:7)
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt