[rescue] odd capacitor

Francois Dion fdion at atriumwindows.com
Fri Apr 2 10:57:25 CST 2004

Larry Snyder wrote:

>"James" <james at jdfogg.com> wrote:
>

>>>I am in need of a pair of axial capacitors, 0.25 microfarad, 600V. I
>>>have plenty of space, so even NOS Mallory or the like would be ok. Usual
>>>suspects like All Electronics dont have this. Pointers appreciated.
>>>

>>What is the application? Thats a rather low capacitance for such a high
>>voltage. Is it for power factoring?
>>

>It's not that strange at all if the active devices happen to be tubes.
>But the same question is valid.  Does the application require it to be
>all that precise?  .22 or .33 might be more easily available.
>-ls-

You are correct about the application. Tube signal generator (yeah,
yeah, I should probably go solid state for that, but, hey, my
grandfather built it). I did finally find some 600V rated (could only
find up to 250V at the places I typically order components):
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=027-714

Designed for tube amps, I'm guessing, a bit of an overkill, but hey,
it'll work.

Francois