[rescue] Oh no! This poor Origin server.....

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Apr 1 22:16:39 CST 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:53:44PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Well...think of it in the context of the geomagnetic field.  Any
> ferrous metals within a magnetic field will distort that field...which,
> when viewed from the perspective of a single point in space, will be
> apparent as variations in the intensity of the field.

Yup, with you that far.

>   So...use it as a hypersensitive metal detector.  Not to find watches
> on the beach, but to find coins under a thousand feet of water.

Wow.  That sensitive?  How do you turn the output signal into location
information?  (Or is this left as an exercise for the student?)

>   Or use it to detect cars & trucks driving by, just for shits &
> giggles.

Unfortunately, I'd probably create a bigger signal just walking around
the room, with all the metal in my leg.

Then again, it *is* stainless steel, which is diamagnetic ....

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :