[rescue] Oh no! This poor Origin server.....

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Apr 1 21:48:06 CST 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:43:36PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Go to Home Depot (or equiv.) and get a 9-12" section of 3 or 4"
> diameter PVC pipe and some end caps.  Fasten one end, fill it with
> kerosene, then fasten the other end.  Be sure to get a good seal.  Wrap
> a few dozen turns of fairly thick (~14ga) wire around it.
>
>   Build an amplifier and a bandpass filter centered around 2.46KHz.
> Get a large-ish 12V battery (like a lantern battery) and a beefy DPDT
> toggle switch.  Wire up the bandpass filter/amp combo, the coil around
> the kerosene cell, and the battery in such a way that the coil can be
> alternately switched between the battery and the filter/amp combo.
> Connect the output of the amp to a speaker or a set of headphones, as
> well as a frequency counter.
>
>   Voila.  A proton-precession magnetometer.

Hmm.  I believe I understand how that would work.  Cool.

>   Of course, myself, I would do it with some big MOSFETs, a
> microcontroller (no, not some monster with an MMU and an operating
> system, Josh. ;)), and an LCD.

And a solid-state relay instead of the DPDT switch?  (Faster switching
time)

>   Here are some links:
>   http://www.portup.com/~dfount/proton.htm
>   http://members.aol.com/alka1/ProMag.html

Cool.  Danke.  :)

(Of course, I still have no idea what I'd use one for.  I mean, I know
what it DOES, I just don't know what I'd DO with one.....)

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :