[rescue] source for cheap U5 memory/disk bracket

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Apr 1 19:55:03 CST 2004

"From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
"
"On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Joshua Boyd wrote:
"
"> It isn't PC memory.  That was the SB100 that used PC memory I believe.
"> Also, the U5 should be able to use at least an 80 gig disk.  I know that
"> my U5 has a 30 gig disk in it.
"
"My Ultra 10 (same IDE controller--same motherboard, actually) has a 120GB
"disk.  However, I boot it from a 20GB disk, I think.  I don't doubt that
"it could boot from the larger disk, but I've honestly never tried it.

the limit on the u5/u10 ide controller is 128G.  with most flavors of
solaris i know of, you have to play footsie with the geometry to make
format accept that much.

"OMG but JumpStart is the neatest thing I've ever seen ANYWHERE.

two of the greatest moments in my career were setting up jumpstart
servers with profiles completely tweaked for hands-off installation.

the first time, i was two weeks late getting the first five wkstns up
and into svc - but then the second order came in and i had them up in
an afternoon.  that impressed.

the second time, it was a y2k contract - upgrade a group running heavy
pc layout cad mostly on sunos4 flavors and just a pair of u10s on 2.6.
with luck, they had an empty seat i could practice on.  when i had all
my ducks in line, i told 'em to take a long lunch and jumped all eight
of em.  the sparc20s were done in ~45m, the ultras in ~15m [0], and
they were able to log back in and resume work on their projects like
nothing had happened.

[0] after i left, one of the ultras crashed from what was probably a
kernel bug - sun issued a patch with suspiciously similar description
shortly after.  my boss briefly diddled around trying to find the
problem and reboot it, then said screw it and rejumped.  it was
faster.