[rescue] New acquisition... (AIX)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Apr 1 15:10:28 CST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> For all its faults, Linux is way better than Windows.

I put them about equal.  The main difference is that most people getting
involved with Linux tend to realize the need for some clue, and Windows
is targeted at drooling idiots who thinks clicking "Next >" makes them a
sytem administrator.  An idiot running a Linux box can do just as much
damage as an idior running a Windows box.  I'd also go as far as to say
that a proper Windows administrator can tune Windows about as well as a
proper Linux administrator can tune Linux--it's just that Microsoft's
boot-camp campaign to get as many MCSEs out the door has produced a
horrible wash of terribly incompetent people in charge of Windows boxes.

> And unlike, say, Solaris or IRIX or any of the BSDs, Linux is hurting
> Windows and scaring Microsoft

I have no deep quarrel with MS.  They make a fine officeware suite and
nice developer tools.  If they changed their business model and got out
of the OS business, and ported Visual Studio and Office to every platform
on the planet, they'd be a much more respectable company and possibly
even more profitable.

> It has enough visibility that you can tell the VP of Operations, "Look,
> we can reduce our TCO and improve our security and reliability by
> replacing Windows NT with Linux on our servers, there's 59,741 known
> worms and virii that infect Windows as of 2pm today and two that infect
> Linux," and he'll recognize the name, nod as if he knows what you're
> talking about and go for it.

This is not a techincal problem.  I've gone around that by easing in the
BSDs.  Set up a few example servers for "testing" and show relative
performance under equivalent loads.  That's something they can SEE,
whether they read about it in IT Suit Weekly or not.

If they really need name-recognition, point out some of the other people
that use this stuff.  DoD recently funded OpenBSD's development before
Theo (again) made an ass out of himself.  If DoD is spending money on
it, it "has to be secure" (in someone's mind).

> OK, fine, so maybe it's not the One OS To Rule Them All And Into *nix
> BIND them.  But that doesn't mean it doesn't have very real value, even
> if all you're using it as is the thin end of the wedge.

I switched away from Linux on everything I care about in 2000 or so.
While some people may have a need for the specific features or services
it offers, I do not miss it.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."