[rescue] Good source for Rambus?

Francois Dion fdion at atriumwindows.com
Thu Apr 1 14:08:34 CST 2004

Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2004, at 11:57 AM, Francois Dion wrote:
>
>> Beside the politics, particularly in 2000 (I just realised that I've
>> had this machine for over 3 years, not 2), why do you say everyone
>> realized that it was a bad idea?
>

>   Because everyone abandoned it.

Everybody has abandonned *(pick any computer we are running in our
basements or in your case your garage yet were great designs)* but it
still doesn't make them bad ideas...

>   I don't know what the actual production volumes are, but I'd wager
> RAMBUS memory is manufactured at a rate probably one-thousandth that
> of DDR or PC133 (or whatever the PeeCee memory-of-the-week is) modules.

Windows outsells Unix, therefore Windows is better and Unix is a bad idea?

:)

At any rate, I need to bring my machine up to 1GB to run Oracle 10G
(altough you can get it to install/run on 768MB), which should be
available for Solaris x86 this month. I dont want to replace the mobo to
use DDR, so I'm trying to buy for a reasonable cost or trade a pair of
256MB. Next mobo I get will run an Opteron and whatever ram techno is
best suited.

Francois