[rescue] New acquisition... (AIX)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Apr 1 13:30:45 CST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> 1) Can't use it for Lustre

That's why you have concurrent-available VGs.

> 2) Have to use RS/6000 hardware instead of any-old PCI adaptors

You can use any-old PCI adapter you have a device driver for.  I have
Sun SCSI cards in some of my RS/6000s.

> 3) Licensing

Well, there is that.  I don't suspect big blue will be knocking down
your door anytime soon because you have AIX on a personal system and
aren't paying for IBM support.  It's quite possible that those machines
already have an AIX license attached.

> The only advantage to running AIX on it for me is the use of the SP
> switch cards, which I can live without.

Well, that, and the OS is AIX, which gives you better support for that
hardware than you'll ever find in a non-IBM OS.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."