[rescue] source for cheap U5 memory/disk bracket

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Apr 1 09:50:04 CST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> It isn't PC memory.  That was the SB100 that used PC memory I believe.
> Also, the U5 should be able to use at least an 80 gig disk.  I know that
> my U5 has a 30 gig disk in it.

My Ultra 10 (same IDE controller--same motherboard, actually) has a 120GB
disk.  However, I boot it from a 20GB disk, I think.  I don't doubt that
it could boot from the larger disk, but I've honestly never tried it.

That plus OpenBSD and an Intel 10/100 Ethernet card (thanks to hme sucking
under obsd/sparc64) makes for cheap, fast, and yummy[0] NFS goodness.

However, my near-transcendental experience with Solaris kicking much ass
this week may yet cause me to remove OpenBSDs from the equation.  OMG
but JumpStart is the neatest thing I've ever seen ANYWHERE.

[0] But not terribly reliable, since the 120GB disk isn't mirrored.  Oh
    well, that's what tape is for.
--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."