Unemployment on the Rescue List? (was RE: [rescue] FS: SGI

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Tue Sep 30 19:44:18 CDT 2003

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 02:32 PM, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>> Why do you need to reboot XP just to fix a hosed DHCP lease?  If
>> ipconfig/release and /renew don't fix the problem, disabling the
>> interface and re-enabling almost certainly will.  (Which reminds me; I
>> need to figure out how to do that last programmatically.)
>
> In my experience, ipconfig /release and /renew don't always work.
> Sometimes they just hang there doing nothing - or worse yet, they
> assign
> the wacky MS default IP.  It doesn't happen *every* time, but it does
> happen often enough to be an issue.
>
> This isn't a new problem - it's been going on since Win95, and MS has
> apparently decided not to do anything about it.

On my laptop with XP installed, in spite of only having the
administrator
account active (I'm the only one using it and have no domain
controller),
it will not allow me to use /release or /renew from the command line.

If I do configuration from the GUI (set static, set it back to auto)
it works fine.

> Erm, not exactly.  Blindly, perhaps not.  However, it certainly needs
> rebooting more often than it should.

It's at least as stable as 2K. ;-)  As someone said--not near my
server.

=Nadine=